Monday, March 28, 2016

A great weekend in LA

The Los Angeles Women's International Film Festival was a fantastic experience.

To begin with the festival was hosted at a Regal Cinema, so it was stadium seating with a giant screen. That was pretty amazing to see it that big. We had a sweet time slot on Friday evening so the theater was pretty full. I bet 200 people saw the film this weekend, and I only had to bring along 2 of them. Paige came and I haven't seen her since we finished shooting that summer. What a great reason to get together again. And my first friend in college happens to live in the area and he came to the showing. I was just riding high all night.



The pictures are all from that night, but of course I was there for the weekend. I saw several good films while I was there. There was a short in our screening block that I was very impressed with: Susie Sunshine. Good acting, fantastic production design, just well done over all.

My favorite feature of the weekend was called Dragonfly. It was what indie features should be. If you weren't told you wouldn't know how cheaply it was made. It was a small story with a big heart. I got to meet and hang out with the writer/co-director Cara Greene Epstein at the party Saturday night, and that was the kind of filmmaker connections that you hope for when you go to a festival.

So I'm flying home now and I'll probably be a bit wrecked tomorrow, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Weekends like this are what you go into filmmaking for.






1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a fantastic time. We thought about you all weekend. (Looking forward to Milwaukee.)

    ReplyDelete