Thursday, May 29, 2014

Shoot Day 7: Big scenes and make up scenes

We had only scheduled 2 scenes for day 7, the two biggest, most emotional scenes of the film. I wanted to be able to take our time and get it right. So even though we also wanted to squeeze in the scene that got rained out the night before I tried very hard not to rush. As a result we ran a bit long, and only managed to get the master shot of the rained out scene. That's better than nothing. Now we know exactly where camera and lights should be, and what coverage we need. Still, we're going to need another long night because it's not like Day 8 was scheduled to be an easy day. We have a dog, and kids, and we've been going to 8 straight days so everyone is tired. On the other hand, it's our last day, we've done such great work so far everyone is well motivated to end strong.

And that big emotional scene we did last night? I can't wait for you to see it.




Esther on her front step. The location we got was absolutely perfect. 

I'm in love with the jib now. It's not just, ooh, that's a pretty move, but that's a move that is helping us tell our story. I've been criticized in the past for my shots being too static, but I am a firm believer that the camera should only move if there is a reason for it to move. I don't wander around a room while I'm watching people talk in life, so I don't particularly want to do it in my films either.

The only photo actually from Day 7. You can tell because we're all bundled up. It was not feeling like late May. But I am not complaining because it was dry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment